Just in case anyone was hanging desperately on my every post, eager to see exactly what my new vegetable empire looks like, here it is:
Now, the wonders of perspective may mean that it doesn’t look as though it’s quite doubled in size, but you’ll just have to trust me when I say that the bit in red is twice as long as the bit in yellow.
And size does matter, as I’m finding out. The new new plot has been left to its own devices for a year which means it’s full of weeds, particularly grass, but with a fair smattering of buttercups, nettles, bindweed, dock and other fun things. It’ll get rotavated in the spring so I don’t have to really dig it but I am tring to turn it over and get the worst of the perennial roots out if I can, prior to mulching with a mixture of compost, manure and leaf mould (the raised-ish beds in the old old plot has either been done or has the overwintering crops in it). We’ve had a couple of fine-ish dry-ish afternoons and I’ve taken the opportunity to get out and get started.
After two sessions of this I’ve got a bit of an idea what I’ve bitten off – here is what I’ve managed to do:
It’s going to be a long winter. In fact, it’s going to have to be, at this rate…