After much thought and consideration, I have decided where to put the new vegetable patch. Originally I was going for raised beds, but I’ve realised that with all the other things we have to get done, if we want to actually have somewhere to plant in the spring, I would probably have to start with just digging some ordinary ones. We can always upgrade them later.
But this left us with a problem: there’s a lot of tree stumps in the garden, and this one was bang in the way of the prime spot in terms of sunshine and flatness, and not being underneath a defunct chicken shed.
So the other half left me with the task of digging round it while he went off on various errands to see how easy it would be to get out. It’s always interesting to see where tree roots go. Quite a long way in this case, but they were fortunately quite rotten so I could pull some of them out with my bare hands.
Note that around here any task involving digging quickly becomes a task involving making a pile of stones. In fact, I’m coming to the conclusion that all the drystane dykes in the area have nothing to do with marking boundaries or keeping stock in – they were just started as somewhere handy to put all the rocks.
And then, just as the light was fading for the day the other half came back with a shiny new pry bar and we thought we’d just have a go and see if we could shift it.
Not a bad afternoon’s work …